Latin Root Vocabulary & Spelling Word Study – Week 1Add to favorites tutorial Add to favorites tutorialLearn the Latin Root Vocabulary & Spelling Word Study for Week 1 with 20 Spelling Word List, Printable Study Practice Worksheets (w/answer keys) and a 4 Day Learning Exercises. 5th Day Students Test their Knowledge
- Vocabulary & Spelling Word Study
- 10 Latin Words
- 20 Spelling Words
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 5
- Game Ideas
- Answer Keys
- 10 Latin Root Word Vocabulary
- 20 Spelling Word List
- Printable Study Practice Worksheets (w/answer keys)
- 4 Day Learning Exercises
- 5th Day Students Test their Knowledge
STUDY SHEET FOR THIS WEEK’S LATIN WORDSLatin Roots Wk 1 Spelling List and Definitions Latin Roots wk 1 Study Sheet
10 Latin Root Vocabulary Words
– Latin word meaning “year” anniversary – a date observed once a year; annual – happening once a year;
-Latin word meaning “pain” neuralgia – pain caused by a nerve; analgesic – a drug that makes one pain free; nostalgia – aching for the familiar
-Latin word meaning “flesh, meat” carnivorous – flesh-eating; carnal – pertaining to the body or flesh; incarnate – given bodily form http://www.learnthat.org/word_lists/view/13528
-Latin word meaning “empty” vacant – empty, not occupied; vacation – a time without work
-Latin word meaning “one, single” unicycle – a vehicle with one wheel; unilateral – decided by only one person or nation; unique – the only one of its kind; unison – as one voice. http://www.learnthat.org/word_lists/view/13622 http://myword.info/definition.php?id=uni_1
vers / vert
-Latin word meaning “turn” reverse – to turn around; introvert – being turned towards the inside; version – a variation of an original; controversy – a conversation in which positions are turned against each other. http://www.learnthat.org/word_lists/view/13625
-Latin word meaning “one thousand” millimeter – one thousandth of a meter; millibar – one thousandth of a bar; milliliter – one thousandth of a liter. http://myword.info/definition.php?id=milli_1 http://www.learnthat.org/word_lists/view/12995
-Latin word meaning “two, twice, once in every two” biannual – happening twice a year; binoculars – optical device with two lenses; bilateral – of or involving two sides http://www.learnthat.org/word_lists/view/13522
-Latin word meaning “sides” bilateral – of or involving two sides; unilateral – affecting one side of something. more words http://www.learnthat.org/word_lists/view/12968
-Latin word meaning “three, third, every three triangle – a figure with 3 sides and 3 angles; triathlon – an athletic contest with 3 events; tricycle – a 3-wheeI vehicle with pedals. find more words http://www.learnthat.org/word_lists/view/13107 visual definition http://myword.info/definition.php?id=tri_1
Latin Root Word Spelling List – Week 1
- millennium – 1,000 years
- bicentennial – occurring every 200 years:
- evacuate – to empty a dangerous place;
- vacant – empty, not occupied;
- unicycle – a vehicle with one wheel;
- unilateral – decided by only one person or nation;
- unique – the only one of its kind;
- unison – as one voice.
- contradict – to express the opposite of;
- dictate – to speak out loud for another person to write down.
- introvert – being turned towards the inside;
- version – a variation of an original;
- controversy – a conversation in which positions are turned against each other.
- universe – a world or sphere in which something exists or prevails
- versatility – capable of or adapted for turning easily from one to another of various tasks, fields of endeavor, etc.:
- millimeter – one thousandth of a meter; millibar – one thousandth of a bar; milliliter – one thousandth of a liter.
- carnivorous – flesh-eating;
- carnivore -an animal that eats flesh.
- bilateral – of or involving two sides
- trilateral – having three sides
Spelling Words with Latin Origins
Learning ExerciseDay 1:
- Print Study Sheets
- Write Definitions for the 10 Spelling Latin Vocabulary & 20 Spelling Words in your notebook (writing helps you remember).
- Complete Latin Root Words Wk 1 Multiple Choice worksheet.
- Research possible similar words using the thesaurus, Write a word substitute for each spelling word word below. Write N/A if not available.
- Complete Latin Root Words Wk1 Crossword
- Write a sentence for each spelling word
- Write each spelling word 3 times each (or) Write words 2 times each, one of the rows write in ABC order.
- Print & Complete Latin Roots Wk1 Lined Worksheet: Latin Roots Wk 1 Lined
- Study for Spelling and Latin Root Vocabulary Test Tomorrow
- Spelling Test: Teacher Test 20 Spelling Words
- Vocabulary Test: Take the Latin Root Wk 1 Vocabulary Test by Matching Definitions to the Word
Game Ideashttp://commoncorechicks.com/greek-and-latin-roots-my-kids-love-them-really/ Online Word Search https://wordsearchlabs.com/view/3433 – click on the letters that form a word to cross it out
(958) Page Views